Friday, June 24, 2005

 

HELP!! INPUT REQUESTED - READ TO END OF ENTRY!!

This week's triathlon clinic focused on biking. It was great hearing from a seasoned triathlete/road cyclist about technique and tips for tackling the longest part of any triathlon race. We actually went out afterwards to the Leslie Street spit to practice some of the techniques that he presented. This proved to be devastating in 2 respects:

1. They let me try out a triathlon road bike. The bike that I've been training on is a hybrid commuter bike that I purchased back in 1991. Recently, I had it tuned up and was told that they weren't going to clean my drivetrain because it was basically held together by dirt and grime and not much else! Now I'm spoiled because I realize how much more comfortable (and faster) a triathlon road bike is! I was quick to adapt to the brake lever shifters and the aerobar. Hmmm. Maybe a self-gift for an upcoming birthday?

2. At about the same time that I bought my hybrid bike over a decade ago, I had also purchased a helmet which I still use today. Seeing everyone else's helmet, I suddenly realized how ridiculous my helmet looks. This helmet is like a watermelon cut in half with straps on it! Usually, things of vain nature don't bother me, but for some reason, I felt very out of place with this Fisher-Price-isque helmet! Maybe a consolation self-gift for an upcoming birthday?

One of the tips that was given to us was the technique for riders (particularly male riders) to shave their legs. Aside from some aerodynamic advantages, the main reason for doing this is because of the potential for falling during any race. If you fall and you have hair on your legs, what would normally be a minor scrape could turn into a huge gash as skin is literally ripped right off, as the hairs would catch onto the pavement like velcro. I have never shaved my legs, so am clueless as to what 'technique' is the most effective (and hopefully pain free). IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE POST A COMMENT OR EMAIL ME (MORE DISCREET)! Your experiences/input is much appreciated!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?