Thursday, July 14, 2005

 

TRANSITIONS

The final triathlon clinic focused on the (often overlooked) fourth event of a triathlon: THE TRANSITION. This is the series of things that needs to be done in between events - what's so hard about that? Well, after this past clinic, I must humbly say that I have respect for this part of the race! Decked in my wetsuit (thanks to Enduro for allowing me to pick up my rental a day early), I ran into the lake for a quick swim (much better compared to the previous week), after which I ran to where my bike was "racked" (basically hooked by its saddle on this triangular stand, not dissimilar to the racks on ski slopes where one leans their snowboard before heading into the chalet). I struggled out of my wet wetsuit (which stuck to me like glue), quickly dried my feet on a towel, put on my socks and proceeded to do up the laces on my shoes. Such a simple task that I've known since a little kid is so hard to do when under the gun. I then put on my shirt (backwards, nonetheless), fidgeted a bit with my race belt (it holds your bib number), struggled with my biking gloves (because my hands were wet), put on my sunglasses, tried putting on my helmet (only to discover that the helmet didn't fit with the glasses on), took the helmet off, removed the glasses, put the helmet back on (backwards) and proceeded (finally!) to unrack my bike. As I started pedaling away, I realized that I hadn't done up the straps of my helmet properly, so instead of being secured around the ears as they normally are, the straps were bound to where my eyes were. Literally, I had could not see what was around me. Thank goodness I didn't run into any of the numerous runners or bladers that were out on the boardwalk! With the biking portion completed, I re-racked my bike, took off the helmet, took off the gloves (which was actually quite easy because of my inability to put them on properly at the first transition, they were barely hanging on to my hands at this point!), and galloped off for my run. Luckily, I will be wearing the same clothing for my run as I will be for my ride. The less I have to do during transition, the better off I will be! Unfortunately, I did such a poor job at tying my shoelaces during the first transition, they came undone halfway through the run. It's a wonder I didn't trip over myself!!

Driving home, I couldn't help but notice a strange aroma. It reminded me of growing up in Port Credit (a lake side community in south east Mississauga). As a child, I would smell this exact same smell, depending on how hot the day was and which way the wind was blowing. I was told that it was the smell of the lake and it wasn't the most pleasant of smells. I figured that once I drove out of the Beaches area, the smell of the lake would go away. I was wrong. The smell persisted and then I realized that the smell was emanating from me! Of course! I had just swam in the lake, and lake water had filled my ears, my nose and my mouth (no, I did not drink any of it). It dawned on me that Lake Ontario water was still "in me" and now I could not escape its smell! YUCK! As soon as I made it home, I quickly dashed into the shower for a good scrubbing.


Mental side note: when swimming in the lake, it's OK to see fish swimming in front of you and large algae covered rocks that looks like furry monsters that appear from out of nowhere!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?