Wednesday, August 03, 2005

 

FAST PROGRESS!

Well, it's been 3 days and we have seen some amazing progress on the house that we're working on! Finally, we experienced our first clear day today - not a cloud in sight. Aside from the rain, we have had to contend with "winter-like" conditions; having come from a heat wave in Toronto, the current 10 degree weather is somewhat crisp.

I have had an amazing time getting to know my team members. Everyone seems to have their own story and have journeyed from different experiences. The one thing that impresses me the most is that everyone is so willing to chip in! I have often found myself with nothing to do because other team members have volunteered themselves much faster. This is the main reason that I'm attributing to for the progress of our build.

We are also getting accustomed to the Kiwi accent. This comes from interaction with the locals that are also building on this house. In fact, our foreman is a New Zealander, so one really has to pay attention to his orders, both because of the accent and the construction-speak. I've only had to redo work a couple times so far!

Some pictures...










The house after day 2: all the walls are up along with the ceilings. We have just added the tie back to get the walls ready for insulation and siding. The gables have been added and the skeletal form of the roof has been put in place.










So far, this has been a safe build. The only "casualty" that I have is this blood blister from hitting my thumb hard with my own hammer! I'm such a clutz!!










Me and a pneumatic hammer gun! Maybe not such a great idea!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?